Dr. John Sands
Professor / Department Chair, Computer Integrated Technologies
- Faculty member at Moraine Valley Community College (MVCC) for over 30 years.
- Developed the first certificates and degrees in Information Technology (1990). Co-developed the cybersecurity certificate and degree programs (2003).
- Co-founded the Center for Systems Security and Information Assurance (CSSIA) at MVCC (2003).
- Established the CSSIA National Academy (2005) for Cyber Security Faculty, the academy has taught over 5,000 faculty from across the nation.
- Co-Developed the CSSIA Virtual Teaching and Learning Environment (2012), this environment is used by thousands of students and teachers. The Virtual environment provides a safe teaching and learning facility to use cybersecurity-related tools and technologies.
- Provided leadership in submitting and receiving grant awards that have brought the college over 12 million dollars in federal grants (National Science Foundation, National Security Agency, Department of Homeland Security and Department of Labor). Grant money has provided new laboratory equipment, faculty development opportunities and student scholarships.
- Testified to the Congressional Committee on Science, Space, and Technology (2018) on the “Role of Community Colleges in Developing the Cyber Security Workforce.
- Member of the National Initiative for Cyber Education Committee (2009-2016).
- Co-founder of the National Cyber League (2011) a student cyber security competition league. Over 6000 students participate each year.
- Operate and host the US Cyber Challenge at MVCC (since 2008).
- Awarded the CAE Regional Resource Center by NSA, this center mentors’ colleges and universities across a five-state region in the Midwest.
- Operates and hosts both the State of Illinois Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition and the Midwest Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition (MWCCDC) at MVCC, now in its 10th season.
- Established formal partnerships with Cisco System to train and certify faculty from across the nation.
- Co-Founded the Community College Cyber Security Summit (3CS), an annual conference that is attended by over 600 educators annually. Awarded an NSF Scholarship for Service (SFS) grant. This grant program provided student scholarships of $25,000.00 a year to attend MVCC full-time. The scholarship also covers all tuition and fees. Lead the application process to become one of the first community colleges to be designed an NSA Center of Academic Excellence in Teaching Cyber Defense.
- Worked with the Moraine Area Career System (MACS) to establish multiple CTE dual Credit programs that enable HS Students to earn college credits while still attending HS.
- Awarded the NCPN 1st Place Program Nationally for Career Pathways (2014).
- Earned a Doctoral degree from Colorado State University.
- Earned numerous industry certifications including the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), a very high-level industry certification.
- Other industry certifications include; Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+.
- Presented at over 20 conferences including the League for Innovation, AACC, and the Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education (CISSE).
- US Navy Veteran.