Dr. Linda Brandt
Professor/Counselor – Counseling and Career Development Center
- Pioneered/co-developed new counseling curriculum: HDV III – Career Planning and HDV 100 – Healthy Romantic Relationships
- Developed “Math Anxiety Treatment Program” in collaboration with the Math Department.
- Created and instituted the “Learning Development Support System” (LDSS) with two other colleagues across campus. Forerunner of the Center for Disability Services.
- Co-chaired college wide task force recommending policies and procedures for dealing with students with severe emotional problems.
- Frequently requested to present sessions during New Faculty Orientation week and on campus on “Identifying and Responding to Students in Crisis.”
- Provided many hours of supervision, crisis management and case consultations to counselors, especially those seeking counseling licensure.
- Provided numerous consultations to faculty regarding students in distress.
- New Faculty Mentor for many years.
- Presented 50 + workshops for Learning College Day, Staff Development Day and CTL with topics ranging from: “Mental Health Trends Among College Students,” “Slaying Your Dragons,” “Emerging Adulthood” to “Soups Made Simple,” “Flight into your Future,” “Building Connections,” and “Lessons Learned from the Dutch”.
- Panel member for several panel discussions on campus.
- Presented at local, state and national conferences on topics such as “Your Career Quest,” “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” Identity and Intimacy,” “Designing a Student Group Activity Promoting Academic Success.”
- Served on several hiring/search teams.
- Served on several non-tenured teams.
- Co-founder and lead representative of Illinois’ Community College Counselors’ Consortium (C4), originally representing 16 Illinois suburban community colleges – fostering collaboration and best practices.
- Arranged and hosted professional development presentations of nationally known speakers (Dr. Jeffrey Arnett, Dr. Kevin Glavin, Dr. Richard Schwartz, Jeremy McCarter)
- Served on numerous committees such as: Faculty Development Committee, Threat Assessment Team (TAT), Art on Campus, Standards of Academic Progress (SOAP) and Academic Success Workshop (ASW) committees, Graduation Completion Committee, etc.
- Attended numerous professional development workshops and conferences (APA, ACA, ACCA, NACD, etc.)
- Participated in International Faculty Exchange Program (Netherlands)
- Recipient of MVCC People who make a difference letters
- Nominee for various college awards, but more importantly, I nominated my illustrious colleagues for numerous college awards.
- Implement major retention strategy specifically with undecided students by doing individual Career Counseling and teaching HDVIII – Career Planning class.
- Most profound and positive impact on students through Personal Counseling…empowering, supporting, encouraging and listening to students in some of the most vulnerable moments of their lives…helping students manage anxiety, grief and stress…helping students reflect and find new and hopeful ways to reconstruct their lives.