Since the pandemic began, Canvas has introduced many new and updated features! In case you missed some of these changes, here is a list of video/guide links for the most helpful updates. If you have any questions about any of this new and improved functionality, please let us know.
- Assignments: Student Annotation Submissions (5/15/21): Instructors can use an annotated assignment type to upload a file for students to annotate and submit directly in Canvas.
- Assignments: Webcam Submissions (3/20/21): In File Upload assignments, students can use their webcam to submit to an assignment.
- Assignments: Due and Availability Date Bulk Edit (7/18/20): The Edit Assignment Dates page supports enhancements to select multiple assignments, batch edit dates, and improve date validation.
- Assignments: Limited Submission Attempts (7/18/20): Submission attempts can be limited in Canvas assignments.
- Assignments: Bulk Editing Enhancements (6/20/20): The Assignments page supports editing all assignment, discussion, and quiz dates in a single page.
- Assignments: On-Time Submission Celebrations (4/18/20): Canvas generates a virtual celebration when students submit assignments on time.
- Assignments: Direct Share (1/18/20): Users can copy individual course items to another course and share individual items with other users.
- Commons: Commons Guides Help Menu (7/18/20): The Commons menu includes a link that displays frequently used Commons guides.
- Course Settings: Course Availability Date Enhancements (3/20/21): The Participation menu includes an option to select course dates by term or course.
- Course Settings: Link Validator Celebration (5/16/20): Canvas generates a virtual celebration when instructors run the link validator and no issues are found.
- Courses: Course-Level Notification Preference (6/20/20): The Course Notification Settings page supports granular notifications for the course.
- Courses: Instructor Publishing Improvements (7/18/20): The Dashboard, Courses menu, and All Courses page display both published and unpublished courses.
- Notifications: Mute Notifications by Course (4/18/20): Users can mute all notifications for a course where the user is enrolled.
- Pages: Individual Page Student View (12/19/20): The Student View button displays in supported individual Canvas pages.
- Global Navigation: Recent History (10/17/20): The Global Navigation Menu includes a Recent History link, which displays recently visited pages in Canvas.
- New Analytics: CSV Reports (9/19/20): New Analytics provides downloadable CSV files for missing assignments, late assignments, excused assignments, the class roster, and course activity data. Using APIs, all reports provide real-time data except for the Course Activity report, which includes data that may be delayed up to 24 hours. Additionally, all report data is verified against user permissions.
- Pages: Bulk Page Delete (8/15/20): Multiple pages can be deleted at one time in the Pages Index page.
Rich Content Editor
- Rich Content Editor: File Preview Enhancements (3/20/21): Files linked in the Rich Content Editor can be previewed in an overlay or inline.
- Rich Content Editor: Pretty HTML Editor (2/20/21): The Rich Content Editor includes a pretty HTML editor in addition to the raw HTML editor.
- New Rich Content Editor (1/16/21): The New Rich Content Editor includes an improved user experience across Canvas courses.
- SpeedGrader: Comment Library (6/19/21): Comments can be added and saved for reuse within SpeedGrader.
- SpeedGrader: Submission Reassignments (3/20/21): In SpeedGrader, instructors can reassign an assignment with a due date to an individual student and ask them to redo their submission.
- Mastery Learning Gradebook: The Learning Mastery Gradebook helps instructors and admins assess the outcome standards being used in Canvas courses. This gradebook helps institutions measure student learning for accreditation and better assess the needs of their students.
- Syllabus: Course Summary Visibility (3/21/20): This change allows instructors to remove the auto-generated Course Summary section in the Syllabus.
Content provided courtesy of the Canvas Community.