Be Canvas READY
Be proactive! We encourage faculty to consider the following checklist to be prepared in the event of a campus closure. Note, clicking the links will bring you to related guides.
R – Review your resources
- Download student roster and contact information from MVConnect.
- Ensure you can access your own course materials. You may want to download a copy of the course syllabus, backup files to a portable drive or cloud resource, or upload files to Canvas.
- Review your course schedule and identify content and activities that can and cannot be easily transitioned online. Determine if the course schedule can be modified.
E – Explore Canvas communication tools
- Create an announcement.
- Create a “Q & A” discussion forum.
- Practice a live session with a web conferencing tool.
A – Assemble an online module
D – Develop an online assessment (and grade it)
- Add an online assignment, discussion, and/or quiz to your module.
- Practice grading online activities using SpeedGrader.
Y – You might want to consider…
- Limiting the amount of “new” tools you use.
- Encouraging students to create an emergency plan.
- Downloading and experimenting with Canvas Teacher and Canvas Student mobile apps.
- Determining how you will document schedule and grade changes.
- Researching alternative learning materials, like video content and library resources.
- Allowing students to submit assignments as text to accommodate mobile apps.
- Developing knowledge checks using Canvas Quizzes.
- Meeting the needs of students with accommodations or students that are absent.
- Sharing Canvas help guides with students.