About the Program
Online Course Development (OCD) is a comprehensive program dedicated to supporting instructors in the creation and facilitation of a high-quality and engaging online, hybrid, or virtual course. Upon completion of this training, participants will demonstrate and apply best practices in distance teaching and learning to organize, develop, and deliver an effective course using Canvas.
All courses created in Online Course Development will meet the 50 criteria of the Online Course Quality Assessment Rubric (OSCQR).
To achieve the most success in the OCD program, the ideal participant should have experience teaching in higher education, preferably at Moraine Valley Community College, and be familiar with Canvas prior to the start of the OCD program. Participants who do not have experience with Canvas should visit the Canvas help menu, access the Canvas Training Services Portal, and utilize the “Higher Education: Canvas Field Guide” to learn how to use Canvas tools in a meaningful way. Users may need to authorize access to this site’s training portal. If prompted to provide “your Canvas domain”, please enter morainevalley.instructure.com.
Participation and Time Management
Participants are expected to actively participate every week in the program, committing to its completion within the designated 8 weeks. Participants should expect to spend an average of 3 hours per week working through various content, assignments, assessments, and discussions. Additionally, significant time is needed to complete the development of a course before it is due to start. Participants who do not actively participate in the may be dropped from OCD and may reapply for future OCD programs.
- Fall 2023 Application Period: August 28, 2023 – September 6, 2023
- Notification of Program Acceptance: September 13, 2023
- Program Dates: September 18, 2023 – November 12, 2023
- Department Approval Due: December 8, 2023
- If you are interested in participating in Online Course Development Training, please reach out to your department chair and/or coordinator to determine if there is a departmental need.
- Please carefully review, download, and complete the Online Course Development Program Application (Note, the application is only available during the application period.)
- The application should be routed by the applicant to the department for completion and approval/ signatures.
- The completed application, along with relevant approval/permissions, and the master course outline, can be submitted to The Center for Teaching and Learning, located in room L244, or via email to email@example.com during the application period. Digital applications along with forwarded emails of permission from the Department Chair and Dean will also be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
This training continues to be in high demand and seating is limited. Participants will be selected based on the college and program needs and priorities.
If you have any questions about our Online Course Development program, please email the Center for Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.