The Professor of the Year Award was established in 1975 and is given annually to honor excellence in teaching. The award is based on excellence in the classroom; impact on students, both in and out of class; contributions to the department, the college, and the profession; contributions to curriculum development; and community service. Faculty members may not receive the Professor of the Year award more than once every five years.
Nominations for Professor of the Year 2024
2024 Professor of the Year Nomination Form (for Students Nominators)
2024 Professor of the Year Nomination Form (for Staff Nominators)
The recipient of the Professor of the Year Award:
- serves as grand marshal for Moraine Valley’s graduation ceremony,
- is formally recognized at the annual Staff Recognition Dinner (held in late spring), and
- is nominated by the college for annual faculty recognition awards.
The nomination process generally begins in late fall and ends in late March of the following spring term.
- Official Student Nomination Forms are distributed college-wide for use in nominating a candidate for the award.
- Additional nomination forms are issued to full-time faculty members, applicable academic deans, and the Executive Leadership Team for use in nominating a candidate for the award.
- After the nomination process is closed, a first-level screening is conducted to advance candidates (according to criteria) to the Faculty Development Committee for a second screening.
- Given appropriate criteria, members of the Faculty Development Committee select three finalists to be placed on a ballot.
- Official Faculty & Administrative Professional ballots are issued to all full-time faculty members, applicable academic deans, and the Executive Leadership Team.
- The candidate who receives the most votes cast is the recipient of the Professor of the Year Award.