Three parts to Panopto
There are three different aspects to Panopto:
- The Panopto Desktop Application – Used to record and edit videos from a computer desktop. More information is available via the IT Connect article Basic Recording with Panopto.
- Panopto via Canvas – Easily upload videos to your Canvas course(s). You must click on the Panopto tool in your Canvas course to use Panopto. More information is available at Using Panopto in Canvas – Important First Steps.
- Panopto via Web App – This is where editing of Closed Captioning of videos in Panopto takes place. The Panopto Web App can be opened from MVConnect, via its direct link, or from within a Canvas course by hovering over an existing video and selecting ‘Edit’.
The functionality described in this post is accessed through the Panopto web app.
You can edit each closed caption from within the Panopto web app on the closed captioning screen by simply clicking the pencil icon.
This is how you get to closed captioning within Panopto.
- From either the Panopto Web App or from the Panopto tool inside canvas:
- Hover over your video then “Settings, Share, Edit, Stats & Delete” will appear.
- Click Edit
- On the left menu beneath Contents, is Captions. Click Captions
- If no captions exist yet, from the ‘Import Captions’ pull down select ‘Import Automatic Captions’
You may proceed with the process described below for simple editing.
This method is easy. After importing captions simply go line by line correcting each line.
- Hover over the text you wish to edit
- Click the pencil icon
- Edit the text for that line of closed caption
- Repeat for the next line of closed captions
It’s that simple.
Check out our upcoming calendar of Panopto training events!
Want to know more about Panopto courses available through the Center for Teaching and Learning? Contact us.