Closed captioning directly benefits the deaf community, but captioned videos can also benefit everyone else.
Scenarios where captions are useful
- Sound is intentionally off
- Speakers/headphones are unavailable
- At work
- At church
- In a library
- While babysitting
- Late night while doing homework
- Commuting on noisy buses or trains
- When introducing vocabulary
- Your students may need the vocabulary words as they learn terms introduced in your videos
- Closed captioning puts these vocabulary words in context and spelled correctly to reinforce learning
- Your students may be hard of hearing but not willing to ‘declare’ a disability
- Your students’ native language may not be English
- Your dialect or accent may be difficult for a non-native speaker to clearly understand
- And many more.
Questions? We can help!
Check out our upcoming calendar of accessibility workshops!
Want to know more about accessibility? Contact us.